Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Grandparents

My husband Luke's Grandma Lib is in the hospital, Please remember her. She has Lung failure and her heart is working to hard trying to make up for her Lungs. Please remember her and the family. My husband is fortunate to still have all his grandparents. Both of his parents are remarried so we are blessed to have a HUGE family on his side. He has parents, stepparents, grandparents, stepgrandparents, and so on. Our wedding was a large affair to say the least:) I love big families. All my grandparents have passed away. My mom's mother passed away before I was born from an illness. My dad's father passed away when I was 4 but I do still have a few memories of him. My dad's mother and my mom's father were around when I was young. My grandpa or grandaddy Pete as we called him was an alcholic who had been radically changed by the grace and forgiveness of God, He was a member of the foursquare church which is similar to assemblies of God, I always remember him with a smile, a pair of dress pants with suspenders, a members only type jacket, and a hat with a feather:) We even have pictures of him on the beach like this, minus the jacket:0. He remarried after my grandmother died to a lady I called Grandma Margaret. She was a sweet lady with white curly hair and a laugh and hug for everyone. I remember distinctly the layout of their living room. They were very poor and their home was what we would consider a small "shack". They both had their own recliners, with a pocket on the side. My Grandma Magarets contained usually a comb, a tvguide, some pens and paper, enough bubblicious bubble gum for all the grandkids and the big SECRET!! Cigarettes and a lighter, even though she swore she didn't smoke. Their Bathroom window was always open and the bathroom always smelled faintly of smoke:) Too funny. My granddaddy Pete's chair pocket always contained his remote and his bible that he had read through many times. He passed away when I was in 4th grade and I know he is in heaven today. My Grandma Williams, my dad's mom was quite a character. Everyone always tells me how much I am like her. I guess I have some of her best and worst qualities!! She was stubborn, and headstrong. But very giving and serving. She loved to have a good time. She loved to cook and sew. She loved flowers and especially rose bushes. I have all kinds of pictures of me in outfits she had made. The best were the homemade Christmas sweatshirts, outlined in puffy paint, and the easter dresses that strangely resembled her former living room curtains. She lived until I was 16. She was a wonderful woman who loved her Grandkids. My children are sooo blessed to have young grandparents who do all sorts of things with them. I am so thankful for the relationships my kids have with our parents it is a blessing to watch. So today be thankful for all the Grandparents you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment